This free pattern for a Santa crochet ornament is a fun and easy project that is great for making ornaments, keychains, garland, car charms, and more!
Table of Contents
This free Santa crochet ornament pattern is a “beginner” level pattern. Minimal crochet experience is necessary. For even more detailed instructions on the stitches used here, take a look at my crochet stitch tutorials.
Save this Santa crochet ornament pattern on Pinterest.
Free Crochet Pattern for Tiny Santa Hat
Measurements: Approximately 2”
Gauge: Not necessary for this pattern; see notes
Hook Size: 4.0mm (G) crochet hook
Other Tools: tapestry needle, stitch markers, scissors
Yarn Weight: Medium (4) Worsted Weight
Yarn Used: WeCrochet/Knit Picks Brava Worsted
Yardage: color A (red): 7 yds, color B (white): 3 yds
Other Materials: n/a
- Checking your gauge is not required for this pattern. Use a hook that is smaller than the size recommended for your yarn weight. This will ensure that your stuffing will not show through the stitches.
- All pieces are worked in the round. Use a stitch marker to indicate the beginning of each round.
- See tutorial photos.
Using 4.0mm (G) crochet hook:
Using color A (shown as red):
R1: Begin with 6 SC in a magic ring. (6 sts)
R2-7: 1 SC in each st around. (6 sts)
R8: *2 SC in next st, 1 SC in next st. Repeat from * around. (9 sts)
R9: 1 SC in each st around. (9 sts)
R10: *2 SC in next st, 1 SC in each of the next 2 sts. Repeat from * around. (12 sts)
R11-12: 1 SC in each st around. (12 sts)
R13: *2 SC in next st, 1 SC in each of the next 3 sts. Repeat from * around. (15 sts)
R14: 1 SC in each st around. (15 sts)
R15: *2 SC in next st, 1 SC in each of the next 4 sts. Repeat from * around. (18 sts)
R16: 1 SC in each st around. (18 sts)
Using color B (shown as white):
R17: Working in the front loops only, SC in each st around. (18 sts)
R8: Working in the unworked back loops of R16, HDC in each st around. Join with a sl st to beginning. (18 sts)
Cut yarn, fasten off, weave in ends.
Using white yarn, make a pom pom. Start by wrapping white yarn around your pointer and middle fingers about 10 times. With a 6 inch piece of yarn, thread between your fingers and tie around the middle of the wrapped yarn. Remove your fingers and cut the loops of the yarn. Trim the pom pom. See tutorial photos.
Attach pom pom to the top of the hat. Fold the hat over at approximately R6, and attach the top of hat so that the hat stays folded.
I hope you enjoyed this free Santa crochet ornament! Be sure to check out my other amigurumi patterns for free on my blog!
Be sure to keep an eye out for more ornament patterns!
Tips & Tricks
- A small pom pom maker can also be used to create the pom pom for the top of your Santa crochet ornament.
- Use my invisible color change method when changing colors in this pattern for a seamless color change.
- Check out my list of amigurumi tips and tricks for more helpful ideas!
- Use a yarn like Parfait Chunky for a larger Santa hat ornament!
- Make a Santa hat keychain by attaching a keyring to the top of the hat.
- Crochet a long chain and attach multiple hats for a cute crochet Christmas garland decoration.
- Make a chain of 80, attach a Santa hat to one side and another holiday ornament to the other side for a fun Christmas car charm!
More Christmas Crochet Patterns
After making this tiny Santa hat ornament, be sure to check out some of my other Christmas crochet patterns, including this simple Christmas beanie that includes a full range of sizes!
I hope you enjoyed this free Santa crochet ornament!
I hope you enjoyed this pattern! If you make it, leave me a comment below.
Want to see more from me? Be sure to subscribe to my email newsletter so that you never miss a pattern!
Follow along with me on Instagram for daily updates and a behind the scenes look at my designs.
I’d love to see what you make with this tutorial! Don’t forget to share your finished work with me: on social media by tagging me @thenicolechase, in your Ravelry projects, or post over in my Facebook group!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy crafting!
PATTERN COPYRIGHT © 2023 NICOLE CHASE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
PATTERN MAY NOT BE ALTERED, COPIED, REDISTRIBUTED OR SOLD AS YOUR OWN PATTERN.
YOU MAY SELL THE FINISHED PRODUCT ON A SMALL SCALE. PATTERN/DESIGN CREDIT GIVEN TO WWW.THENICOLECHASE.COM IS APPRECIATED. PERMISSION TO SELL DOES NOT INCLUDE MASS PRODUCTION. LARGE SCALE PRODUCTION IS PROHIBITED.
PHOTOGRAPHY COPYRIGHT © 2023 NICOLE CHASE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
PHOTOS MAY NOT BE ALTERED, COPIED, REDISTRIBUTED OR SOLD AS YOUR OWN.